Birthmark Removal Treatment Toronto
Birthmarks are skin blemishes that are present at birth or appear shortly afterward. It is unknown why some are born with birthmarks while others are not. Birthmarks can be divided into two main categories:
Pigmented birthmarks are caused by high density of melanin of cells and include:
- Cafe-Au-Lait Birthmarks - present at birth, or appear shortly after birth, and do not fade with age. These birthmarks may occur anywhere on the body, but most often found on the torso, buttocks or legs. They are typically flat and smooth, oval in shape and light brown, or a bit darker in colour.
- Mongolian Birthmarks - are flat congenital spots with irregular shape, blue or dark blue colour, most common among East Asians and Turks. These birthmarks usually disappear within the first few years of life.
- Brown Birthmarks - also called congenital moles, irregular in shape, brown, dark brown, or black in colour, flat, raised or lumpy in appearance. They are often found on the head or neck, but may occur anywhere on the body.
Vascular birthmarks are caused by high concentration of blood vessels and include:
- Port Wine Stain Birthmarks - are present at birth and will not disappear with age. These birthmarks range from pale pink to wine-red in colour and may thicken and darken over time. They are typically quite large in size and irregular in shape.
- Strawberry Birthmarks - These red birthmarks are not present immediately at birth but appear in the first few weeks of life. They often grow and thicken rapidly, then stabilize, and eventually diminishing in size and resolves by age 10.
- Stork Bite Birthmarks - also called "angel's kiss" or "salmon patch", typically seen in a newborn. Most are temporary.
Birthmark Removal Treatments
Though most birthmarks are benign and do not require treatment, they are usually removed for cosmetic reasons. Birthmark removal treatments include oral or injected steroids, lasers or IPL, and surgery. The method chosen for birthmark removal will generally depend on the type and characteristics of the birthmark.
At Q Eshtetics Laser Clinic, we use IPL and Nd:YAG laser in conjunction with electrocautery to fade or remove a diverse range of birthmarks.
IPL and Laser are usually used for removing flat birthmarks. IPL and laser birthmark removal may need about 3-6 sessions to make the birthmark invisible. The pulsed light or laser beam is selectively absorbed by the pigment or vessels of the lesions, which is then destroyed or shed away.
Electrocautery birthmark removal can be used to burn raised birthmark off. It reaches only the outermost layers of the skin, so scarring is not an issue. About 1-3 treatments may be required. Local anesthetic is typically applied to the treated area before the birthmark removal procedure.
What Happens After Birthmark Removal?
There may be some slight bruising or whitening at the treated area, which is temporary as expected. To protect your newly treated skin, we advise you stay out of the sun light for a few weeks after your treatment. It is also recommended that you use sunscreen of SPF 40 or more for a few months. Protective clothing and hats are also highly recommended.
Photos From Q Esthetics. All Rights Reserved.
With over 10 years experience, we are the Toronto’s leading clinic for birthmark removal. Our well trained medical staff safely removes hundreds of birthmarks each year. Please call one of our three convenient clinics to schedule a complimentary consultation and let us show you what we can do for you today.
Our three laser clinics are located inside MCI The Doctor's Office™, the largest group of medical centres in Canada, providing birthmark removal treatment for men and women in Toronto, North York, Mississauga, Scarborough, Thornhill, Vaughan, Etobicoke, Brampton, Richmond Hill, Markham, Woodbridge, Newmarket and other surrounding areas of the GTA.
Birthmark Removal Related Information