About 10% of the population suffers from nail fungus infections. Follow these important steps to help prevent nail fungal infections, speed up their healing process, or reduce their recurrence:
- Wash hands and feet regularly and dry them thoroughly.
- Keep nails short and clean.
- Don’t walk barefoot in public areas.
- Wear cotton socks and change them daily.
- Avoid using your nails as a tool to open or unscrew anything as this may stimulate the fungal growth beneath the nails.
- Wear rubber gloves when dealing with food, water, dirt, oil and chemicals, etc.
- Choose salons that don’t share tools and only use sterilized tools for manicures or pedicures.
- Avoid wearing nail polish or artificial nails at first sight of a possible nail fungal infection.
- Treat a nail fungus infection as early as possible to avoid more serious problems or permanent damage to the nails.